Saturday, January 21, 2012

DIY Slip cover for a couch

And now for something completly different!
How to make a slip cover for a couch/settee.
So I found these marvellous mid century couches on the side of the road on verge collection day.
Beautiful teak wooden frames, terrible condition...

Re-upolstering them couldn't be too expensive right?  Quotes came in from $3000 - $1,800. Sigh.
Time to get crafty.
After nagging my mum to borrow her sewing machine, she gave me one for my birthday! Score!

1. Make paper pattern of side and inside arm rest panels. I literally held sheets of brown paper onto the sides and traced around them.
2. drape fabric down back and onto where your bottom sits, you could drape all the way down the rear (behind) of seat as well but I wanted this part black.
3. Cut top of arm rest pieces.
4. Place all pieces inside out onto chair. Tuck the large panel into creases. Its better to have more fabric. When you cut pieces, leave around 1cm hem to play with.

4. Pin everything together.
5. Tack stitch everything together. Not entirely necessary but allowed me to remove some pins
6. I marked with chalk where to sew since my hand stitches were a bit off and my seams weren't a perfect 1cm.
7. Sew it all together.
8. Hem the skirt and dress!
Yay! Am quite proud! Thanks go to Ikea for supplying well... everything. The seat cushion was the perfect size so for now, that will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment